PATIENTS’ RIGHTS ACTION FUND Training Webinar
Pro-Patient, Anti-Assisted Suicide:
Foundational Basics in Opposing the Legalization of Assisted Suicide
August 18, 2015
2:00 – 3:30 p.m. (ET)
Euthanasia Prevention Coalition
Focusing on the Issues
• How do the assisted suicide laws work in Oregon and Washington State?
• Are depressed people dying by assisted suicide in Oregon?
• Does the Oregon assisted suicide law ensure patient choice? Consent?
• Where does data on assisted suicide deaths come from?
Policy Analyst, Disability Rights Education Defense Fund
The Why and How of Opposing Assisted Suicide Laws
• Why oppose assisted suicide laws
• We need everyone
• Know your audience
• Most effective messengers
• Working in cross-constituency coalitions
Political Director, Patients Rights Action Fund
Planning and Organizing Against Assisted Suicide
• Past case studies – Looking at Washington/Oregon, Massachusetts, California
• The approach: Legislation, ballot measures, lawsuits
• Strategy before tactics
• Avoiding pitfalls